June 16, 2021 by Jane Chevalier
Let’s face it – the postpartum period is something that calls for planning, tools and asking for help! Although a lot of planning is needed towards your last weeks of pregnancy to prep for the birth of your baby, so is the time immediately following; the postpartum period.
There were many things and people who got me through my postpartum experience, such as an amazingly supportive partner, family in town and experienced mom friends. But there were 5 major things that I recommend EVERY mama has planned out ahead of time in order to make the most of her postpartum period immediately following birth.
- Postpartum Doula
- Mayan Abdominal Massage
- Benkung Belly Bind
- Meal Train
- Cocooning the First Week
Postpartum Doula – Must-have assistants for mama, dada and baby!
- They are experienced with newborns, so when you need help or a break, they are all over it
- Most are great cooks (depending on who you hire) and know all the healing meals to make to help you recover from birth
- Some are lactation consultants (depending on who you hire), so they may be able to assist you with nursing (if you are)
- They clean – dishes, vacuuming, making the bed, laundry. So you can focus on things like sleeping or bonding with your baby while having an uncluttered space
- They are angels from heaven – they understand the postpartum ups and downs and may carry healing potions to help with the emotional rollercoaster (mine did!)
Mayan Abdominal Massage – Postpartum nourishment for mama!
- Gentle abdominal massage that helps your womb (organs, uterus, etc.) get back to feeling “normal” quicker and back in “place”
- Breast massage included to help with engorgement and clogged ducts
- Helps bring the nervous system down to a parasympathetic response (calm) from sleepless nights and transitioning to becoming a new parent
- Helps you feel taken care of after constantly taking care of a new being
Benkung Belly Binding – A must for putting your body back together!
- Helps “lift” the womb space to assist in organs returning to their pre-pregnancy spots (other belly flatteners do not lift the organs properly)
- Flattens belly naturally and effortlessly
- More comfortable compared to other belly binds, but does take time to “bind”, a partner is needed
- Can purchase off of Etsy like this site where I got mine
Meal Train – Assign a close friend or family member to create a meal train!
- Don’t have to worry about preparing a bunch of meals ahead of time when you are 9 months pregnant
- Have healthy foods dropped off by family and friends is supportive
- Various kinds of meals made by different people is refreshing
Cocooning the First Week – I’ve seen too many times where moms rush to Target the day after they have their baby, not giving their body what it needs – REST!
- Stay in bed as much as possible the first week – you AND your partner
- Gives you space, time and energy to bond as a family
- Gives your body and mind the true restoration it needs (as much as possible with an infant)
- Snack stations on night stand and meals dropped off by doula, family or friends is a must
- Netflix on demand via TV or laptop is a must
- Save the walks for after this week is over, or take small, short ones if you need fresh air