February 2, 2021
By Jane Chevalier
When hiring a doula, you want to make sure you have a set of questions ready to ensure it’s the right fit! This person is going to be sharing a VERY intimate experience with both you and your partner, so making sure you are both 100% comfortable is key.
Here is a list of questions we asked the three doulas we interviewed:
- How many births have you attended?
- How many births/pregnancies do you commit to at once?
- How many hours are you available during a birth?
- Do you have backup doulas on call if you are not available for some reason? Can we meet them ahead of time?
- What techniques or tools do you like to use during labor?
- Are you experienced in hospital births, birth center births and home births?
- What is your favorite thing about being a doula?
- How often are you available for texts, phone calls and e-mails?
- Tell me about a time where a client’s birth’s did not go as planned. How did you help her adapt?
- Tell me about a time that birthing/medical staff did not provide a positive experience and how you helped your client to navigate this experience.
Listening to your intuition and the first impressions they made on you and your partner is super important. Make sure to take a few days so let it sit before deciding who to choose. Happy Doula hunting!